Technology has facilitated the ability of Financial Services companies to process greater transaction volumes, develop new products and services, analyze and synthesize enormous amounts of data, and manage, while at the same time create, new, and more challenging risks. Increasing regulation is driving market changes and generating opportunities for new entrants. Innovative technology-based firms are aiming to disintermediate traditional Financial Services providers who have been recently challenged with growing regulatory constraints.
“…most of what the focus today has been on in the fintech world is the investment bank – whether it’s the front office or the back office and how to make those market places better, streamline them, and take the costs out to create more efficiencies.”
- James Toffey Chief Executive Officer LiquidX
“Fintech companies have many advantages over traditional financial service companies – even the largest ones – and are a force for disruption as much as enablement.”
- Jane Gladstone Senior Managing Director Evercore
“Given a lot of the economic pressure banks are under, blockchain is serving as a catalyst to understand how you can drive much more dramatic transformation in cost and operating models.”
- Vijay Mayadas Corporate Vice President Broadridge
MESSAGE FROM OUR CHAIRMAN
On behalf of the Gartland and Mellina Group, welcome to “An Evening of Discussion on Fintech and the Financial Services Industry: Disruption, Destruction or Collaboration?”. For the last fifty years, Computer Technology has facilitated the ability of Financial Services Companies to process greater transaction volumes, analyze and synthesize enormous amounts of data, create new products and services, deliver a better client experience and to manage risk while creating new and more complex risk and service challenges. Increased regulation, legacy technology infrastructures and changing client needs have paved the way for a new breed of Fintech firms who are aiming (in some cases) to dis-intermediate traditional providers. We are pleased to be engaged with our clients on responding to these threats and opportunities in areas such as blockchain, digital wealth management, software robotics, and more.
We have brought together a distinguished panel of speakers to give their insights on this evolution led by Brad Hintz, Adjunct Professor at the NYU Stern School of Business and former nationally ranked Research Analyst, Jane Gladstone, Senior Managing Director at Evercore Partners, Jim Toffey, CEO at LiquidX , Vincenzo LaRuffa, Head of the FinTech Group at Aquiline Partners and Vijay Mayadas, Corporate Vice President of Strategy for Broadridge.
Tonight we also have a new President-elect who will set the regulatory agenda we face for the coming years. I’m sure our speakers will have some thoughts on this as well!
We hope that you will find this discussion interesting, relevant and informative. Thank you for attending and we wish you a productive and enjoyable experience.
Robert F. Gartland
VENUE - HAROLD PRATT HOUSE
HAROLD PRATT HOUSE
58 East 68th Street at Park Avenue
New York, NY 10065
During the years 1919-1920 an elegant town house was designed and erected by architect William Adams Delano, of the firm of Delano and Aldrich for Mr. and Mrs. Harold Irving Pratt. Only the best materials available were used in constructing the house which is reputed to have cost over one million dollars in 1920. It is interesting to trace the story of the house and its owners.
Mr. Harold Irving Pratt was the youngest of Mr. Charles Pratt’s eight children. Mr. Charles Pratt merged Pratt Astral oil with John D. Rockefeller’s Standard Oil of New Jersey, during the latter part of the 19th century. Mr. Harold Irving Pratt was the managing director or Charles Pratt and Co and was also a Council on Foreign Relations member from 1923 until 1939.
Due to the Great Depression, in 1944 the house boarded up as no one was living in it. With the Council was outgrowing its original space, Mr. Hamilton Fish Armstrong telephoned Mrs. Pratt to see if she would donate her house. The next day Mrs. Pratt called to say that she would give the House to the Council. The House officially opened as the Council of Foreign Relations new headquarters on April 16, 1945.
The exterior is of limestone, custom made in the United States and the inside floors are mainly parquet, oak, or a self-polishing marble. As is typical of other houses of the period, a large kitchen and service area were installed in the basement. The Pratt’s dining room was on the main floor where the current Drawing Room now exists.
Up the winding staircase on the second floor was a library which also functioned as a dining room. The current Mansion Ballroom was the Pratt’s formal drawing/living room. At Mrs. Pratt’s insistence it was square, being modeled after a room she had seen in Ireland. It is decorated with pine paneling and beautiful chandeliers each of whose crystals are different.
It was also Mrs. Pratt’s wish to use the hand-painted Venetian type doors for the entrance to the library and the drawing room, although the architect demurred that they did not fit with the English architecture. The Pratt family gave three paintings of themselves seated with the original furnishings. These are located in the marble Franklin Hall and over the mantel of the sitting room. To this day, the Council has maintained its original integrity.